How to Resolve WordPress RSS Widget Time Out Error
Yesterday I’ve encountered an issue with the RSS widget in the form of this error:
RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 3560 bytes received
I’ve searched on Google for the solution for this error, but there’s not much helpful information or solution for this error.
So I had to come up with a creative solution to fix this error.
First I needed to understand what was causing this error. Here is what I found out. Time out means your RSS widget gave up waiting for information from the RSS feed server. If you are getting this error on your blog, there is nothing wrong with your blog. It’s the web server of the feed that is too slow. If the source of the feed does not belong to you, you can’t do anything about it. If the source of the feed belongs to you, then you might need to optimise your website.
The solution I came up with does not require any code hacking on my side but to find a way to have the RSS feed served faster to the RSS widget and I happen to know what can do that. The solution is to use Google Feedburner to serve the RSS feed to the widget instead of using the original RSS feed URL. Feedburner belongs to Google and their servers are fast.
So, I burned a feed for the RSS and use the Feedburner feed in the RSS widget instead of the native feed and the time out issue was resolved.
So if you get this error here is what you need to do:
- Check that the url you’ve put in the RSS widget does not have any spelling mistake.
- Validate the RSS using a RSS Validator.
- Burn a feed at Feedburner for the RSS.
- And use the Feedburner RSS URL in your RSS widget instead.
Oh, by the way, have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? I really want to use my newsletter to keep you up to date with my latest tips and notify your of new blog post releases. So fill your name and email address below and click Subscribe Me.
For more information on how to use Feedburner check out their support page.
Incoming search terms:
- RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: connect() timed out!
- RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: name lookup timed out
- WP HTTP Error: connect() timed out!
- WP HTTP Error: name lookup timed out
- rss error: wp http error: operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
- RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
- Errore RSS: WP HTTP Error: connect() timed out!
- wordpress host rss napaka: wp http error: connect() timed out!
- rss error wp http error connect timed out on wordpress
- wordpress rss error timeout
Filed under: Tips
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!